BEAT THE HEAT!!! Here are some simple helpful tips for this summers heat. Reducing the heat in your home can help with your electric bill.
• Set your thermostat to 78. Go higher, if the humidity is low enough and you feel comfortable. Turning a thermostat down to cool a room quicker doesn’t work, by the way — it makes the A/C run longer, not colder.
• Draw your drapes. Keeping your blinds, shades and curtains closed.
• Turn off unnecessary heat-producing devices. Incandescent light bulbs are a big heat generator. Shut down electronic gear when you’re not using it.
• Wash and dry clothes when the day is cool. Do laundry early in the day and late at night. Don’t forget clotheslines: they generate no heat in the house.
• Skip your dishwasher’s dry cycle. Rack your dishes and let them air dry instead.
• Keep heat-producers away from your thermostat. Don’t allow a closely located TV or water heater to convince your thermostat that it’s hotter than it really is.
• Check your refrigerator settings. The fridge takes heat out of your food and transfers it to your kitchen, so be sure you’re running it efficiently. The refrigerator works best when set between 37 and 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Put the freezer around 5 degrees.
• Replace your air-conditioning filters. Clean filters in window units. You should do this every month, so keep a stock of filters on hand.
Small things can add to BIG savings 🙂